Who Are We?

Earth-Watchers are a diverse group of individuals who share a common interest in protecting our planet. We meet once a month to discuss how we can shed environmental impact pounds and live "lighter," on the earth. We focus on individual actions as well as community systems to help us meet our goals.
Click Here to Learn More about us and our Current Goals

Earth-Watchers meet in downtown Manhattan on the first Tuesday of each month. To learn more, to join, or to start a group in your community please email us at earthwatchers@yahoo.com.


Friday, June 13, 2008

Eliminating Paper and Plastic

Goal: Eliminating paper and plastic when shopping and dining
out

While running my daily errands around the neighborhood I have noticed
that I am still taking a lot of paper and plastic when making
purchases. When I buy arugula or spinach at the Greenmarket they put it
in a plastic bag. I might stop and buy a bottle of water or get a latte
to go. I always carry a canvas bag but oftentimes buy too much and then
need to use the paper or plastic bags that are offered to me. My goal
is to eliminate all of this paper and plastic.

Here are some steps I have taken to help reach my goal:

• Always carry a canvas bag
• Use my stroller bag to hold purchases if my canvas bag is full
• Buy smaller quantities of food and make more frequent visits to the
market
• Carry my Sigg cup filled with water
• Carry a stainless steel coffee cup just in case I want my latte to go
(although sitting at Jack’s drinking a latte in a ceramic cup is more
enjoyable!)

In the first week I feel like I refused a lot of plastic and paper
bags. I put my Greenmarket purchases directly in my canvas bag. I went
to Bell Bates and Bed, Bath and Beyond and put my purchases directly in
my stroller bag.

One item that has been a little tricky is buying roasted chickens at
Bouley Market. The containers are filled with juice so I want to have
them wrap it in a paper bag before I put it in my canvas bag.

I also found it challenging when we went out of town for the weekend. I
brought a canvas bag but found it more difficult to use it for all of
our purchases. I need to think creatively in the moment, i.e., carry
things back to the car without bagging them.

******

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What do you do when dining out in a restaurant that serves paper napkins. Do you return them. Also when you order a beverage do you have to specify that you don't want a straw?


About your canvas bag problem, you can try Bed Bath and Beyond for a re-usable green shopper bag for $4.99. It's nice because you can rinse and wash it easily if you have a container that accidentally spills.

good luck this is a very ambitious goal.