Who Are We?

Earth-Watchers are a diverse group of individuals who share a common interest in protecting our planet. We meet once a month to discuss how we can shed environmental impact pounds and live "lighter," on the earth. We focus on individual actions as well as community systems to help us meet our goals.
Click Here to Learn More about us and our Current Goals

Earth-Watchers meet in downtown Manhattan on the first Tuesday of each month. To learn more, to join, or to start a group in your community please email us at earthwatchers@yahoo.com.


Saturday, July 5, 2008

CJ's July Goals

My goals revolve around food choices this month in a double effort to eat healthier and more environmentally friendly:

1) Consume more local produce by taking advantage of easy access to the Green Market:

Do I really need to buy bagged salad when I can support the local farmer? So far, I'm learning that this requires planning ahead and becoming more familiar with what produce is carried by specific markets. I also found this helpful map and schedule that I can keep in my wallet for reference:
http://www.cenyc.org/files/gmkt/map.pdf

2)Eat less meat by increasing fish dinners and preparing one vegetarian dinner a week.

I am a carnivore. I'm NOT ashamed; but I am open to expanding my diet and offering more choices for my family. When dining out, I passed up my regular steak frites for mussels and I prepared shrimp paella for the first time(admission-not all my veggies were from the green market). So far, the newest vegetarian dishes added to my menu include black bean tacos and falafel filled pitas.

1 comment:

Denise Trezza said...

Hi CJ,
This is Denise, the founding director of EW. I admire your ambition in limiting meat from your diet but am a bit concerned that switching to some kinds of fish might not only be worse for the environment but may also be harmful to your health. Please check in the blog archive under "something's fishy," for some info on healthy and environmentally friendly fish choices. I would steer clear of the shrimp and load up on the tilapia and Wild Salmon. Good Luck!