Who Are We?

Earth-Watchers are a diverse group of individuals who share a common interest in protecting our planet. We meet once a month to discuss how we can shed environmental impact pounds and live "lighter," on the earth. We focus on individual actions as well as community systems to help us meet our goals.
Click Here to Learn More about us and our Current Goals

Earth-Watchers meet in downtown Manhattan on the first Tuesday of each month. To learn more, to join, or to start a group in your community please email us at earthwatchers@yahoo.com.


Saturday, July 5, 2008

Heather's July Goal

Goal: Replace personal care products(shampoo, soap, lotions, deodorant, toothpaste, sunscreen, etc.) with natural products that are paraben and phthlate free.

The Pay-Off: By choosing more natural products I will improve my overall health, as well as my daughter's (my breast milk will be cleaner too!). The change will positively impact the environment since 1)my purchasing dollars will be used toward natural rather than conventional products 2) it will reduce waste since many natural products use less packaging and 3) there will be fewer toxins going down my drains and into the water system.

Earth-Watchers Related Posts
Just One Word: Phthlates
Pervasive Parabens
Baby Product Alert

Products I Have Switched To :

For Baby: Weleda and California Baby, I feel they are the most natural and I like their scents.
For Me: California Baby's Calendula Cream
Thera Neem from Organix South
Spectrum Unrefined Coconut Oil available at Bell Bates
Dr. Hauschka shampoo, conditioner, and Neem hair lotion and sunscreen.
available online at www.saffronrouge.com (free samples come with the order!)

Over the past few years I have been interested in using more natural products in my daily routine. For my daughter, I made sure to select all natural products to use from the moment she was born. I scrutinized over different shampoos, soaps and diaper rash creams to find a brand without chemicals and toxins. After attending Alexandra Zissu's discussionon toxins in our home, I decided I needed to look at my daily routine and the products I use with a higher level of scrutiny.

I recently revamped my facial products and body lotions after starting regular Ayurvedic consultations. Since I am Pitta(summer), I need products that cool and soothe sensitive skin.
My Ayurvedic practitioner also recommended using unrefined coconut oil on my skin and it has been very hydrating and moisturizing.

Beware Hidden Toxins
When I went through all of my beauty products, I was surprised at what I found. Modern Organic Products(MOP) shampoos and conditioners and many Alba products contain parabens! I always thought the Alba line was all natural! I used to use Ling skin care because I would get facials there. I discovered that not all of their products contain ingredient lists, but I finally found one on the facial cleanser bottle and found it had a lot of bad things in it! Since swithching to TheraNeem I have found my skin feels more nourished and healthier.

Seeking Advice:
What are some good deodorants? What should I do with all of the toxin-laden products I no longer use?

These new natural products are more expensive than their conventinal counterparts, but I find they often last longer and are so much better for your body and the environment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been using Tom's of Maine for some time but will consider getting if for my husband as well.
I also recommend Burt's Bees shampoo and conditioner. After a couple of weeks of using it my hair started to feel so much healthier. I'd also like to bring up a very troubling issue for me regarding Bare Escentuals. I have been using their makeup for about a year and found it to be really wonderful--it's a very light, easy-to-use, natural-looking product. They advertise that their makeup is 100% pure. I recently found out that one of the key products, their mineral veil which you apply after the foundation and blush, contains parabens. I am so outraged but do not know what to do. It's one thing for companies to put parabens in products, it's another thing all together when a company touts that they are 100% pure and natural. Aside the fact that I thought this was illegal. I guess it's hard to define "100% pure" but regardless, it still seems like misleading advertising to me. I am someone who checks every label for natural ingredients and yet, somehow I was unaware. I feel duped. I could write a letter but I'm not sure that would satisfy my anger. Any thoughts?

Anonymous said...

You could also check out the website, bewellstaywell.com. They seem to offer everything under the sun in terms of body and bath and do not have mineral oil based products or synthetic fragranced items. No Methyl/Propyl Parabens, Urea, Pheno-ethenol, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate. They list all ingredients too. I haven't tried them but am amazed by their website.

Anonymous said...

this is what Google Alerts are good for -- i got sent this post because you mentioned my name. so glad i did. i'm a big fan of Weleda rose spray deodarent. they also have sage and citrus but rose works best, i think. it took me a little bit to get used to the feeling of a wet spray instead of a dry stick but it's the most effective and purest i've come across.

i either used up my old stuff or gave it to friends/family who weren't pregnant or nursing and who were aware of what was in it i was trying to avoid but still willing to use it. always felt strange to offer someone something i didn't want to be using but there were plenty of takers and it felt better than tossing.

Alba and MOP aren't the only ones -- frustrating how many "natural" products contain just the sort of thing you're hoping to avoid by choosing natural.

good luck with your goal!

best,
lexy